At League of Geeks, we dedicate ourselves to crafting engaging game experiences with a unique charm and innovative gameplay. We’re looking for a Writer & Narrative Designer to guide and document our lore and characters, steer the design of our new videogame’s narrative systems, and most importantly, craft the in-game writing and storytelling of a brand new IP and universe.
This writing-heavy role will rely on your exceptional creative writing skills, supported by a solid and extensive understanding of storytelling frameworks, principles and methods. This is a key creative position on the project and you will have a major impact on the shape and success of our brand new videogame and its ambitious, original IP.
As a two-time Australian Studio of the Year, we are committed to building one of the best working environments in the world, with a genuine focus on well-being, skill development, and the correct ratio of pot plants to humans. So if you’re keen to work with one of the world’s leading independent studios on two brand new, exciting PC/console projects, we'd love to hear from you!
As this role requires a lot of collaboration with different departments, we are ideally looking for someone who is available to work with us in timezones comparable to Australian Eastern Time. However, flexibility around timezones is available for exceptional candidates!
This fixed-term position can be held on a full-time basis for 6 months or a part-time basis for a period of 9 to 12 months, each with the possibility of ongoing employment.
Women and other underrepresented developers, please apply! We pride ourselves on our inclusive work environment and output, so we’d love to work with you.
- 3+ years experience across a range of writing (cinematics, dialogue, quest/mission text, item descriptions, etc) for videogames.
- Experience designing narrative systems and storytelling structures for videogames.
- Shipped at least one commercial videogame on any platform.
- Intimate and extensive understanding of classic and interactive storytelling frameworks, principles and methods.
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to iterate on ideas to come up with design-viable solutions.
- Solid understanding of player experience and the need for context and guidance.
- Enthusiasm to work in a highly collaborative environment with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Detail sensitivity, strong design sensibilities, and a keen understanding of myth and symbology.
- A commitment to working in a professional, inclusive and supportive environment.
- Ability to work independently; managing time, task lists and workflow with ease.
- Excellent communication, creative collaboration and teamwork skills.
As a Writer & Narrative Designer here at League of Geeks, you will be accomplished in your craft of writing, balancing the creative expression of our game worlds with player agency, acute design sensibilities and a keen awareness of production realities.
- Design, promote and maintain effective and efficient narrative delivery systems with an eye for scope, storytelling, and the game’s intended aesthetic.
- Work with the Game Director, Creative Director and Principal Designer to curate ideas and ensure a consistent tone.
- Take ownership of key elements of our lore, characters and narrative framework.
- Work closely with the game director, creative director and design team to curate ideas and ensure a consistent tone.
- Develop and maintain narrative documents that clearly communicate concepts to our multidisciplinary team.
- Guide complicated narrative discussions and reviews to reach an objective rather than subjective outcomes.
- Collaborate with other departments, ensuring positive communication and creative problem-solving between disciplines.
- Write in-game content as required per our milestone objectives and desired player experience.
- Help guide and define the use of narrative tools, then work with those tools and Unity Engine editor to implement content, as necessary.
- Participate in scoping and planning of future narrative needs.
- Bring your dog to work!. Yeah, dogs!
- Talent development, mentorship and support.
- Regular self-directed professional development days.
- Flexible work arrangement opportunities and family-friendly considerations.
- Menstrual, Menopause and Parental leave.
- Sustainable working hours, environment and life-work balance.
- Friday afternoon team social events, including monthly get-togethers.
- Annual Summer family picnic, Winter Feast and Melbourne Games Week party.
- Located in Melbourne, Australia. World’s most liveable city seven years in a row.
How to Apply:
Click the 'Apply to Position' button to submit your application and folio.
In your cover letter, please tell us in 250 words or less, what the single most important element is of great videogame writing. There are no wrong answers here, let your thoughts fly.
- Base remuneration on offer (excluding benefits such as superannuation) is between $63k - $85k p.a AUD pro-rata, as per the length of the contract term. Base remuneration is dependent on experience and expertise of the applicant.
- This role is currently remote due to COVID-19. However, we plan on returning to studio when it is safe to do so. Relocation assistance is available for the perfect applicant.
- Please note that due to the large volume of applications we receive, we will be notifying successful applicants first. All unsuccessful candidates will be informed at the end of the hiring process, once the position is filled.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve temporarily transitioned to a work-from-home model and are continuing to interview and hire during this time. For the safety of staff and applicants, all interview stages will take place via video conference.
For general questions and inquiries, please get in touch with careers (at) leagueofgeeks (dot) com.