At League of Geeks we pride ourselves on pushing the visual boundaries of our games, creating engaging and immersive worlds for our players. We're looking for a talented concept artist with a passion for environment art to join us as a member of the team at the very heart of this creation process, uniquely responsible for developing and guiding the execution of our unique aesthetic signature.
As a collaborative team we love people with broad knowledge and deep specialisations. You’ll bring your exceptional creativity and technical skills together to create inspiring concepts of environments, production props and assets for the broader team, that also communicate the game’s visual direction and deliver on technical and design objectives. Above all, your attention to detail, understanding of visual storytelling and vivid imagination will contribute to the team's objectives in creating a videogame and universe players have never experienced before.
We are committed to building one of the best working environments in the world, with a genuine focus on well being, skill development, and the correct ratio of pot plants to humans.
If you’re keen to work with one of the world’s leading independent studios and help us create our new, exciting original IP, we'd love to hear from you!
Note: This is a full-time contract position with the possibility of ongoing employment, though make no mistake, you will be a critical part of the LoG family.
Women and other underrepresented developers, please apply! We pride ourselves on our inclusive work environment and output, so we’d love to work with you.
- A proven passion for designing and visualising exciting game spaces where incredible adventures might occur.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of light, value, colour, composition, use of detail, and visual storytelling.
- Strong understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to architecture and industrial design.
- High degree of organic, anatomical and architectural knowledge.
- The ability to adapt and apply yourself to differing art styles and requirements.
- Exceptional digital illustration skills with a high proficiency in role-relevant software/tools such as Photoshop.
- Strong desire to work closely with the game director and design to ensure the game's art improves the player experience.
- Detail sensitivity, a proven aesthetic eye and strong design sensibilities.
- Excellent communication, creative collaboration and teamwork skills.
- A commitment to working in a professional, inclusive and supportive environment.
- Create mood paintings, color studies, and lighting keys to inform and inspire other environment artists and level designers.
- Create illustration work that promotes ideas and enrolls others into our unique artistic vision.
- Creates scene concepts that push storytelling in our environments.
- Create highly imaginative environment and prop concepts that inspire your team.
- Produce environment concept art and in-game mock ups, focusing particularly on lighting and post effects.
- Develop production concepts of props and environments.
- Effectively document and communicate complex visual intentions and specifications to the broader team.
- Conceptualise, design and help create in-game visual effects.
- Iterate on game assets with level designers and 3D artists via paint overs and direct feedback.
- Coordinate with the lead artist and creative director as well as design and production to help accomplish project goals .
- Work with the creative director to maintain and promote a consistent aesthetic style.
- Work with 3D artists, level designers and technical artists to complete final modeling of concepts and staging of environments.
- Partner with other artists, designers, engineers and production to collaborate on creatively complex problems.
- Be a reference for the art team in relation to various artistic elements and find solutions to complex issues that arise.
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and ensure consistency of work within the team.
- Weekly bring-your-dog-to-work day on Monday. Yeah, dogs!
- Talent development, mentorship and support.
- Monthly self-directed professional development days.
- Flexible work arrangement opportunities and family-friendly considerations.
- Menstrual, Menopause and Parental leave.
- Sustainable work hours.
- Friday afternoon team social events.
- Annual Summer family picnic, Winter Feast and MIGW party.
- Located in The Arcade, one of the world’s first videogame co-working spaces.
- Located in Melbourne, Australia. World’s most liveable city seven years in a row.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter, an up-to-date CV and folio with examples of your work to the link provided.
- Application period closes CoB on 12th of July.
- Base salary on offer (excluding benefits) is between $240 - $400 p/day AUD, dependent on experience and expertise of the applicant.
- Remote work options are available for this position. Please raise an expression of interest if required.
- Please note that due to the large volume of applications we receive, there will be a slow response time but we will endeavour to get back to everyone who shows interest!
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve temporarily transitioned to a work-from-home model and are continuing to interview and hire during this time. For the safety of staff and applicants, all interview stages will take place via video conference.
For general questions and inquiries, reach out to careers (at) leagueofgeeks (dot) com.